Thursday, February 12, 2009

My ideas on why children feel the need to be up your butt while you are trying to do things like wash the dishes or talk on the phone


Okay, so basically there are two types of offspring: precocial and altricial. There are gradiations in between that are recognized too, especially in bird species, but we're not going to discuss them here.

Precocial young are relatively advanced when they are born, able to move on their own, can eat solid food, and already have some behavior patterns developed. Mallard ducks are an example. For instance, the mother, while incubating the eggs, emits vocalizations (which are similar to the ones she will use to call the babies into the nest later). So she thereby imprints her young to her voice before they hatch. Soon after hatching, the young are ready to leave the nest, but recognize the mother's voice and return to the nest when they hear it (Drickamer et al. 2002).

Altricial young are very helpless at birth, requiring lots of care and maintenance from the parent(s). They usually cannot move or eat on their own, and usually cannot even eat solid food. Songbirds and parrots fall into this category. Obviously, so do humans.

Now, evolutionarily, parents want to have as many offspring as possible to pass on their genes. However, each offspring requires an investment on the part of the parent (which will be different depending on the gender of the parent, their degree of involvement in incubation, nuturing, etc.) Parental investment includes any investment by the parent in an individual offspring that increases that offspring's chance of surviving (i.e. reproducing) at the cost of that parent's ability to invest in other offspring (Drickamer et al. 2002). Usually females have a higher reproductive cost. (But we women already knew this; it takes the men to reason it out and write it down to realize it I guess). Parents will invest more time in fewer individual young for several reasons: when their own chances of surviving decrease; when food is hard to obtain; when they are sure that the offspring is their own (and they want to make sure the genes get passed on. However, the parents should not invest too much care in just one offspring, unless that's the only chance they have. From the offspring/child's perspective, they want want lots and lots of care, because this will help their own survival and ability to reproduce later on.

What this means is that, from an evolutionary standpoint, children do not see activities such as washing dishes and talking on the phone as contributing to their overall survival, so they try to force you to pay attention them instead. This also shows up as sibling rilvalry. Of course, at some point, they should realize that it is safer for them in the long run to let Mommy finish doing the dishes before they harass her to play games, because otherwise they will end up helping.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Hahahahahahahaha.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd,HPV,Cancer, Hepatitis,Shingles, Diabetes,Epilepsy,Infertility, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.