Sunday, March 16, 2008

All Lost in the Supermarket

Okay, so I hate grocery shopping. Which means that I do my best to avoid it as much as possible, stretching it out until I absolutely run out of milk. Which is basically every two weeks, if I'm lucky. The location of my store is nice, in that I can walk to it in less than 15 minutes. But I don't know where everything is, and I am convinced that they know ahead of time, somehow, what I am going to need that week, and are determined to be out of at least one item. Or at least not stock it. On purpose. Much like one of my sisters, growing up, would intuitively know what sweater I would decide to wear the next morning, and would sneak it out of my closet the night before. I mean, I didn't even know what I was going to wear until I got up, so how did she always manage to pick that very sweater the night before?

So yesterday Chickie and I went grocery shopping, mainly because I was down to my last 1/3 cup of milk. And needed other stuff too. And I think the people in the grocery store are starting to know me a little, mainly as "that woman who rants and raves about stuff." Which is probably not good, but they haven't thrown me out yet. Yesterday there was no whole wheat raisin bread. But, they also keep this on the top shelf, so I have to stand on all the other shelves in order to find this out. So not only do I look like a nut standing on the shelf (and setting a nice example for my 4-year-old), I am also a little peeved when I find out that they are completely out of what I am looking for. Which means I start verbally railing against the shelving and the other people who took all the bread. The only solution I can think of at this point is disco shoes.

So, at other points, I have also ranted and raved, while pacing in the aisle, about:
- The lack of pure maple syrup at this store. Sorry, I do not like fake syrup.
- My inability, after much searching, to locate the rice cakes. Are they with the snack food, the cereal, the popcorn, what??? Do they just not sell rice cakes at that store?
- They have a bakery department, which sells lots of kinds of bread and bagels. They do not, however, make or sell individual donuts. What is up with that? Especially when those are used by certain of us mothers to bribe our children into behaving at the grocery store.
- This store only sells red grapes. Also, they are not out with the rest of the produce, but are hidden away in a little dark inlet, as if intended for some secret grape-sacrificing ceremony, and not for public consumption.

I think those are the only things so far, although I'm sure there will be more in the future. That's just the kind of relationship I have with this store.

1 comment:

Carl Yost said...

Nice Clash reference. :-)